An aid to labeling display quality barite specimens
For best results maximize browser window; use refresh button for updates.
Click picture to enlarge. Unless noted all specimens are from Bill & Diana Dameron’s barite suite.
Mashamba West mine, Haut-Katanga, Democratic Republic of the Congo
This reference attempts to provide accurate locality data with descriptions and pictures to aid correct labeling of specimens. Localities with only micromount, thumbnail and primarily unattractive barite specimens are largely omitted.
Current geographical names are used when possible. Locality information is (untraditionally) listed from largest to smallest, i.e. in the U.S. first the state, then county, nearby city and mine, making it easier to arrange and group localities.
Unless otherwise noted all specimens are from Bill & Diana Dameron’s barite suite and all photos are by Bill Dameron. They are mostly quick shots without elaborate lighting. Italics indicate localities not yet represented in the collection. There were about 685 photos on the site as of August, 2012, of which some 500 were from Bill & Diana's collection.
The compilation began informally and often lacks specific references. There are many sources for accurate locality data, although even highly respected web sites have some errors not apparent to non-barite aficionados. See Links & Sources for additional information. THANK YOU to the many collectors, curators and dealers who have helped!Contact
Contributions and suggested corrections are welcome, as are high quality JPG pictures. Please e-mail me at baritebill at comcast dot net, without any JPEG attachment (this to reduce spam). I will open attachments if we are already friends or after we have established contact.
- MR – the Mineralogical Record
- R&M – Rocks & Mineral
- Seaman Museum – A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum, Houghton, Michigan
- LRM – le Règne Minéral
- UKJMM – UK Journal of Mines and Minerals
- AMNH – American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York
- NMNH – U.S. National Museum of Natural History (Smithsonian), Washington, DC
- CSM – Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado
- Hun. Nat. Hist. Mus. – Hungarian Natural History Museum Budapest
- Herman Ottó Museum – Herman Ottó Museum, Miskolc, Hungary
- BMNH – British Museum of Natural History, London
- Hunterian M&AG – Hunterian Museum & Art Gallery, University of Glasgow, Glasgow
- Edinburgh, NMS – Royal Museum, National Museums of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Co. – ( U.S. ) County
- cm – centimeter(s)
- Rice Museum – Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks & Minerals, Hillsboro, Oregon
- Barcelona Museum of Geology – MGB
Last updated September 30, 2014
BARITE SPECIMEN LOCALITIES
*© ALL CONTENTS ARE COPYRIGHT MATERIAL FOR REFERENCE ONLY; NOT FOR SALE OR OTHER USE